Monday, November 22, 1999

Nightmares on the Night Train

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Switzerland. Went to the Pray 4 Snow event in Thun with Sessions....

So I took a night train from Zurich to Florence. Last time I took a sleeper train, I was 12, almost 13. I am a much bigger person now than I was back in the day. I am a bit to tall for those beds inside the train. I'm only 5'9"...my dad is 6'3"...dad, i don't know how you did it, that had to be one of the most uncomfortable nights of your life, on our way from the south of france to venice. But that was such an awesome trip, arriving into venice looking out the window, picking up wine and cheese from a little shop and eating on the train together....buying as much 1.5L waters as we could b/c it was the hot hot days of summer :)

Back to 2009. So, I never really fell asleep. I sort of dozed off, forcing my eyes to stay shut. And every single time I closed my eyes, I had a horrible nightmare about this trip. In one I got off the train at one of the stations to stretch my legs, and I thought the train left without me, with all my stuff. Then I saw all my stuff on a pile at the station and didn't know how I would get back to Florence, I couldn't afford to get another ticket! And, the conductor takes your passport when you get on the train, so I was without my passport too! Then it turned out my train was still there, and I got back on.

Another one: I thought we had arrived in Florence so I got off the train with only one of my bags, planning to go back to get my purse. But then the train left! Again, I was without my passport...and we weren't in Florence, I was at some random stop in Italy and I was completely alone except for this guy with missing teeth who started to chase me....that was a bad one.

But then, the conductor came in and brought me coffee and some bread and told me that Florence was coming up in 30 minutes. He gave me my passport back, got off the train with all my bags, and didn't have any problems :)

Weird times on night trains.

I'll post later about Pray 4 Snow.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwwww! Rough night, sweetie. Glad you survived the dreams and got off the train OK. I think I know where your train phobia comes from....hmmm...one word for you "Marsailles" GULP! Don't worry I won't DARE type the other word for fear of more nightmares. Night trains sure give a traveller plenty to write about, don't they? Love you bunches and really, really miss you sweetheart. Baking a pecan pie and it just isn't the same. Happy Thanksgiving MX!! Hope you are feeling much, much better!

    ReplyDelete